Subject: bug#3646: "bookmark format upgrade is incorrect"

From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 00:05:40 -0500

Hey, Drew.

So, it's quite understandable you're confused -- the reason is that
Debbugs apparently *dropped* the rest of the body of the mail in which I
set this ticket to WONTFIX.

That is, the first line of my mail was

  "tags 3646 wontfix"

but then the rest of the mail said this:

  I'm tagging this as WONTFIX, because the cost/benefit ratio of fixing
  it is too low -- it's hard to fix, and there have been not many
  reports of it biting people in the wild.  Of course I have no way to
  know the real cost of not fixing it; the bug tracker is an imperfect
  channel.

  I did spend a long time working on fixing that interim format upgrade
  path.  It is clearly doable, but I didn't finish then and I've lost
  the head state (that was more than a year ago).

  If anyone has reason to think this bug is a major problem right now,
  please make a noise here.

But apparently I was just supposed to know that Debbugs would not
automatically attache my comments to the only bug mentioned in the
control line, and that I had to CC 3646@ or 3646-foo@ explicitly.

Hope the above explains it better.

See also http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12507#105 .

Sigh :-).

Best,
-K