Subject: bug#36459: 27.0.50; octave-mode ElDoc support bug

From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 11:58:35 -0300

Hello

Recipe to reproduce the bug:
1) emacs -Q
2) M-x run-octave
3) Type something that doesn't involve a octave function call, like the
following matrix. Type it slowly, to give octave-eldoc-function time to run:
A = [10 1;2 3]

(Of course, if you don't want to type slowly, set eldoc-idle-delay to 0).

4) When point is past a whitespace, such as in:
A |=
(with | being where point is)
the echo area displays: 'A' not found
Similar situation when point is at:
A = [10 |1;2 3]
Echo area here displays: '10' not found.

So, for every symbol that is not a function, 'not found' might be
displayed.  I think it is a bug, since as a a user I would expect that
if I'm not about to call a function, ElDoc shouldn't be displaying
anything.

Best regards,
Mauro.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2019-06-30 built on the-blackbeard
Repository revision: fd9ea1e511ba3b1f5d338c3fc8faf0b85df951f9
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only [2 times]
Quit
You can run the command ‘run-octave’ with M-x ru-o RET

Configured using:
 'configure CFLAGS=-O3'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils thingatpt
compile octave smie easymenu comint ansi-color ring time-date elec-pair
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 53509 7386)
 (symbols 24 6753 1)
 (strings 16 18539 2692)
 (string-bytes 1 611047)
 (vectors 8 11206)
 (vector-slots 4 137069 15278)
 (floats 8 17 36)
 (intervals 28 230 0)
 (buffers 564 12)
 (heap 1024 7670 759))