Subject: bug#36454: 26.2.90; feature request - Insert char by hex tab completion or C-x 8 RET ffe <TAB>

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 15:28:27 +0200

Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]> writes:

> Before that, what about (additional) variable which would control
> completion style in this case, with values:
> - name - default, completion in 'insert-char' would work like it works
>   now,
> - name-and-hex - completion in 'insert-char' would also complete hex
>   codes and show everything in *Completions* window,

I don't think completing over hex codes is a good idea (it's a very
dehumanising interface), and I don't think adding a variable to switch
it off or on is, either.

But what you really want is (it seems to me) to be able to list all
characters from a Unicode block, because you know where the character
is, but you want to find a specific one in that neighbourhood.  So the
"hex completion" is just an artefact here.  Instead, perhaps there
should be a new command to complete over Unicode block names, and then
list the characters in that block, and allow you to choose one of them?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no