Subject: Re: bug#36454: 26.2.90; feature request - Insert char by hex tab completion or C-x 8 RET ffe <TAB>

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 10:34:22 +0200

Not that I disagree, but I have this idea.  There are 3 ways of
specifying character for 'C-x 8 RET':
1. Unicode name,
2. hex code,
3. code with radix specified, e.g. #o... (octal), #x... (hex),
    #10r...(decimal).

While it'll be difficult(?) to have both completions for name and hex
code (point 1. and 2.), because for example some names include
numbers, completions based on the code for 3rd method of inserting
char could be added.  This way if someone type letters or numbers -
method 1. or 2. - he'll get completions based on Unicode name.  BUT if
he define radix in the beginning (#b/#o/#x/#RADIXr), possible
completions based on the code will appear.  A bit more typing
(defining radix) but it could work.  This way we could also get
completions for other codes than hex.

> I don't think this sounds very useful, because the hex values are
> kinda tightly packed, so you get too many matches.

With approach described above, it'll only happen with 3rd method -
probably not the most popular.  Also I think if someone will try to
complete it, he'll do it after typing at least 2 or as OP - 3 letters.

> And they get in the way of name completion.

With approach described above, this problem doesn't exist.