Subject: Re: bug#36452: [PATCH] Add tests for bookmark.el

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 14:24:56 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 13:01:13 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > Thanks.  Please add to that text something that doesn't yield valid
> > UTF-8 byte sequence.  For example, these two strings:
> >
> >   (decode-coding-string "\xE3\x32\x9A\x36" 'chinese-gb18030)
> >   (char-to-string (decode-char 'eight-bit #x81))
> >
> > (Please include these snippets directly, not their result as a literal
> > string, to make sure the unusual characters survive intact.)
> 
> OK, added.  The tests still pass (both interactively and in batch mode).

Great, thanks.

> The first one, when I evaluate it, makes Emacs segfault.  Not sure why
> it works when I'm running the tests - I'd guess because Emacs is not
> trying to display it?  Let me know if you want a backtrace for this
> crash and/or a separate bug report.

A separate bug report, please.  It didn't crash for me, FWIW.  If the
crash is in the display code, then yes, it's because evaluating the
expression will display the resulting string.

> In any case, I've attached an updated patch with the two above
> snippets included in the save/load test.  Not sure if we should keep
> the first one around, but I added a warning not to evaluate it.
> 
> What do you think?

I think we should keep both, but we should also investigate the crash.

Do the tests in this patch depend in some way on the other patches you
submitted for bookmark.el?  Because if not, I'd like to push this
right away, as tests cannot possibly break anything (with the other
patches, I'd like to wait for comments for a few more days).

Thanks.