Subject: Re: bug#36452: [PATCH] Add tests for bookmark.el

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 08:33:22 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks.  Can you tell the approximate coverage of bookmark
> functionality by these tests?

All core functionality is tested.  I didn't test interactive stuff
like bookmark-completing-read, nor did I bother testing the ancient
code that upgrades from the pre-1995 bookmark format.  Other than
that, I would say that it's comprehensive.

Running the tests it with M-x testcover-* unfortunately does not give
an exact figure, but I don't see any important code paths that have
been missed.

> One particular aspect of the bookmarks that I'd like to see tested is
> non-ASCII bookmark names and annotations.  The code includes some
> slightly involved logic for determining how to encode the info on
> disk, so I wonder how well does that work in practice.

OK.  I added tests for that in the attached patch using strings
manually copied from HELLO.  It works just fine to save and then load
bookmarks for the set of languages I chose to include characters from.
That is, we have the same before bookmark-save as we get after
bookmark-load.

> > \ No newline at end of file
>
> Is this lack of newline intentional?

Yes.  This is how this file is written by `bookmark-write-file'.
However, I think it would be nice if it did add the newline (e.g. for
files under VC), so I changed that here.

Thank you for your review.  Please find attached an updated version of
the patch.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas