Subject: bug#3645 closed by Karl Fogel <[email-masked]> (Fix "bookmark-jump(-other-window) inconsistencies")

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 06:05:07 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#3645: 23.0.95; bookmark-jump(-other-window) inconsistencies

It has been closed by Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Karl Fogel <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
3645: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=3645
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Fix "bookmark-jump(-other-window) inconsistencies"
From: Karl Fogel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 01:56:32 -0400

fixed
--

Thanks for the report.  Fix committed:

  $ cvs ci -F msg lisp/bookmark.el lisp/ChangeLog
  /sources/emacs/emacs/lisp/bookmark.el,v  <--  lisp/bookmark.el
  new revision: 1.132; previous revision: 1.131
  /sources/emacs/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog,v  <--  lisp/ChangeLog
  new revision: 1.16392; previous revision: 1.16391
  Mailing notification to [email-masked]... sent.
  $ 

Subject: 23.0.95; bookmark-jump(-other-window) inconsistencies
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 16:19:02 -0700

bookmark-jump and bookmark-jump-other-window should differ only in the
window they use. But their behaviors are quite different now.  One of
them is wrong.  My guess is that bookmark-jump-other-window never got
updated when some changes were made to bookmark-jump (but it could be
the other way around).
 
bookmark-jump raises an error if the arg is nil;
bookmark-jump-other-window is a no-op in that case.
 
bookmark-jump-other-window treats pre-Emacs 22 bookmarks differently;
bookmark-jump does not.
 
[FWIW - It is unfortunate that bookmark.el has undergone extensive
changes since Emacs 22.  It is barely recognizable now, and it is
quite messy to provide 3rd-party code that works with multiple Emacs
versions.]

In GNU Emacs 23.0.95.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-06-19 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'