Subject: bug#36443: Canonicalized build directory name in container leads to confusion (was guix build mixes build dirs?)

From: Robert Vollmert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 10:04:13 +0200

> On 4. Jul 2019, at 09:59, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> “Impossible” is an exaggeration, but when you source the
> ‘environment-variables’ file, for example, PWD and other variables will
> refer to /tmp/guix-build-….drv, which won’t exist.  Likewise, generated
> files such as Makefiles would have captured the ….drv name.

But, wait, won’t they refer to /tmp/guix-build-0.drv? So debugging a build
from /tmp/guix-build-1.drv will use a mix of both directories?

> Like Mark writes, it’s not the end of the world: you can simply rename
> /tmp/guix-build-….drv-0 to /tmp/guix-build-….drv.  However, it means
> that things would be inconvenient by default, which doesn’t sound great
> to me.
> 
> WDYT?

I don't particularly care anymore. I think it’s a confusing mess, but for
myself I’ve learnt this wart and won’t run into the problem anymore.

Cheers
Robert