Subject: Youtube-DL-GUI

From: Raghav Gururajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 15:11:15 -0400

Hello Guix!

This report is regarding the app "youtube-dl-gui" (NOT youtube-dl).

ISSUES:

1) After installation, the app icon does not appear in GNOME Dash.

2) While attempting to download a video (copy pasting link and pressing
start) from any website, the app gets stuck with the notification
"Downloading latest youtube-dl. Please wait..." at the bottom left
corner of the window.

Regarding the latter issue, the following is the output while running
youtube-dl-gui from the terminal and attempting to download a video.

```
/gnu/store/ll031irv0g5dgkxcc2ryi99vx8s5xmck-python2-wxpython-
3.0.2.0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/_core.py:16629:
UserWarning: wxPython/wxWidgets release number mismatch
  warnings.warn("wxPython/wxWidgets release number mismatch")

(.youtube-dl-gui-real:1860): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:51:17.288: Unable to
locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",

(.youtube-dl-gui-real:1860): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:51:17.301: Unable to
locate theme engine in module_path: "adwaita",
Exception in thread Thread-5:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/gnu/store/lgbiv7q1b6m141nrkjm92qkl9ih5gamw-python2-
2.7.15/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/gnu/store/xcda310q65b1g28vvwsv0rrl0im19i0y-youtube-dl-gui-
0.3.8/lib/python2.7/site-packages/youtube_dl_gui/updatemanager.py",
line 63, in run
    check_path(self.download_path)
  File "/gnu/store/xcda310q65b1g28vvwsv0rrl0im19i0y-youtube-dl-gui-
0.3.8/lib/python2.7/site-packages/youtube_dl_gui/utils.py", line 78, in
check_path
    os.makedirs(path)
  File "/gnu/store/lgbiv7q1b6m141nrkjm92qkl9ih5gamw-python2-
2.7.15/lib/python2.7/os.py", line 150, in makedirs
    makedirs(head, mode)
  File "/gnu/store/lgbiv7q1b6m141nrkjm92qkl9ih5gamw-python2-
2.7.15/lib/python2.7/os.py", line 157, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system:
'/gnu/store/203r6mdmrxrpcr8mbhfprwfrw0qdn7n8-youtube-dl-2019.05.20'

Exception in thread Thread-2:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/gnu/store/lgbiv7q1b6m141nrkjm92qkl9ih5gamw-python2-
2.7.15/lib/python2.7/threading.py", line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/gnu/store/xcda310q65b1g28vvwsv0rrl0im19i0y-youtube-dl-gui-
0.3.8/lib/python2.7/site-packages/youtube_dl_gui/downloadmanager.py",
line 248, in run
    ret_code = self._downloader.download(self._url, options)
  File "/gnu/store/xcda310q65b1g28vvwsv0rrl0im19i0y-youtube-dl-gui-
0.3.8/lib/python2.7/site-packages/youtube_dl_gui/downloaders.py", line
105, in download
    self._create_process(cmd)
  File "/gnu/store/xcda310q65b1g28vvwsv0rrl0im19i0y-youtube-dl-gui-
0.3.8/lib/python2.7/site-packages/youtube_dl_gui/downloaders.py", line
292, in _create_process
    startupinfo=info)
  File "/gnu/store/lgbiv7q1b6m141nrkjm92qkl9ih5gamw-python2-
2.7.15/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 394, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/gnu/store/lgbiv7q1b6m141nrkjm92qkl9ih5gamw-python2-
2.7.15/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1047, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
```
SUGGESTIONS:

1) May be the ".desktop" file is missing?

2) Since "youtube-dl" is a dependency for "youtube-dl-gui", may be the
"youtube-dl-gui" is not properly reffered/linked to correct
version/branch of "youtube-dl"?

Regards,
RG.