Subject: bug#3643: Bug#567083: emacs -Q doesn't fit on the user's screen

From: "Evgeny M. Zubok" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:14:38 +0300

[email-masked] writes:

> EMZ> doesn't try to change emacs geometry to fit screen area. But... is this
> EMZ> IceWM problem?
>
> I don't know, as I'm afraid to install other window manager stuff. I did
> see it with LXDE+openbox too though.

I think this is right behaviour of WM: when an application changes its
size, the WM shouldn't (but may) prevent this action. As I understand
from #36430 log, Metacity (sorry, I don't use it) prevents window from
growing.

> EMZ> FYI, Emacs23 also has Xaw3d backend. You can try it and verify is this
> EMZ> emacs23-gtk-only problem.
>
> All I have installed here are emacs23 and emacs-snapshot. I'm too scared
> to mess things up to test anything else.

I've just installed emacs23-lucid (GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu,
X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2009-10-19 on
debian-build.int-office-er.priv, modified by Debian) from
lenny-backports, and... I havn't noticed the problem with IceWM. Emacs
window fits screen height nicely. It seems this is emacs23-gtk
feature. I don't think that this is IceWM bug.