Subject: Re: emacs -Q doesn't fit on the user's screen

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:27:44 +0100

[email-masked] skrev:
>>>>>> "JD" == Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> writes:
> JD> That last part may be it though.  As the title bar size isn't known at
> JD> frame create time, we can't adjust for it.  I'll have to think about
> JD> that.
> All I know is firefox etc. never was bigger than xwindows.
> JD> A better strategy might be if 40 lines doesn't seem to fit, just try 20.
> JD> If that doesn't seem to fit, try 10.
> Well if it can detect that it can't fit then maybe it can detect how big
> it should be.

Actually, it can only detect when it is way too big.  In the case when it 
almost fits, i.e. off by one line or so, it must guess.

> OK, I did xwininfo -all in Firefox, just for comparison. It fits
> perfectly. Of course this is not a vanilla install of firefox, all I
> know is the vertical dimensions of emacs should be no bigger, as this
> fits perfectly.

The main reason is that Firefox calculates its window height before mapping 
the window.  Emacs on the other hand first maps with tool bar off and later 
adds that (in lisp) and the menu bar.  Font changes in lisp are also applied 
after the window is shown.

	Jan D.