Subject: Re: bug#36421: Having some text with face height > 1.0 causes scroll-step to be ignored

From: Andrea Cardaci <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 00:43:07 +0200

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 9:37 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> In your case, when the line of double height is scrolled by the amount
> of pixels that are equal to the height of the frame's default face,
> point winds up in a partially visible line, so Emacs recenters to fix
> that.

The explanation makes sense, thanks.

> If you have a lot of higher-than-default lines, and you don't like the
> effect of scroll-conservatively, then my suggestion is to set
> scroll-conservatively to 2 or 3.

It's much better this way (set to 2), there are still some
*unpleasant* moments where the point is not exactly on the bottom (by
a fraction of line height) and some others where the point is scrolled
up by one entire line. But I guess this unavoidable, maybe I should
just stop worrying and love the recentering...

> Btw, why do you find recentering annoying?  It's the default Emacs way
> of bringing the next windowful of text into view together with some
> context.  Scrolling by just one line is sub-optimal because you don't
> see all of the context: the text below the last line is not visible.

Juanma Barranquero summarized my point perfectly.