Subject: [bug#36404] [PATCH 0/3] Refactor out common behavior for system reconfiguration.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2019 00:02:01 +0200

Hello,

[email-masked] (Jakob L. Kreuze) skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Note that writing tests could be tricky because it’s about testing the
>> effect of these reconfigure actions.  At any rate, let us know how it
>> goes!
>
> This is a _very_ preliminary patch series. I'm not nearly done with it
> yet; the procedures in guix/scripts/system.scm that I've replaced have
> some handling for i.e. installing the bootloader configuration without
> running the installer script, which my reimplementations don't yet
> support.
>
> I'm sending this tonight to make sure I'm on the right track: is this
> sort of what you meant by extracting the common behavior into scripts?

Yes!

> Also, I didn't include any tests as part of this series, but
> implementing reconfiguration like this does, indeed, make testing for
> 'guix deploy' much, much easier. And we'll get some tests for the
> behavior of 'guix system reconfigure' out of it, too!

As you can imagine we’ll have to be careful with ‘guix system
reconfigure’—let’s not break everyone’s system.  ;-)

But yes, it seems like the right thing to me.

Ludo’.