Subject: Re: [bug#36404] [PATCH 0/3] Refactor out common behavior for system reconfiguration.

From: [email-masked] (Jakob L. Kreuze)
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 19:45:41 -0400

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Note that writing tests could be tricky because it’s about testing the
> effect of these reconfigure actions.  At any rate, let us know how it
> goes!

This is a _very_ preliminary patch series. I'm not nearly done with it
yet; the procedures in guix/scripts/system.scm that I've replaced have
some handling for i.e. installing the bootloader configuration without
running the installer script, which my reimplementations don't yet
support.

I'm sending this tonight to make sure I'm on the right track: is this
sort of what you meant by extracting the common behavior into scripts?

Also, I didn't include any tests as part of this series, but
implementing reconfiguration like this does, indeed, make testing for
'guix deploy' much, much easier. And we'll get some tests for the
behavior of 'guix system reconfigure' out of it, too!

Jakob L. Kreuze (3):
  guix system: Add 'reconfigure' module.
  machine: Reimplement 'managed-host-environment-type' deployment.
  guix system: Reimplement 'reconfigure'.

 Makefile.am                         |   1 +
 gnu/machine/ssh.scm                 | 235 ++++++++--------------------
 guix/scripts/system.scm             | 162 ++++++-------------
 guix/scripts/system/reconfigure.scm | 157 +++++++++++++++++++
 4 files changed, 270 insertions(+), 285 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 guix/scripts/system/reconfigure.scm

-- 
2.22.0