Subject: [bug#36404] [PATCH 0/6] Add 'guix deploy'.

From: [email-masked] (Jakob L. Kreuze)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 20:10:30 -0400

Hi, Ludovic + Ricardo!

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Building and running virtual machines as part of the tests
> seems expensive. Would it be feasible to mock the remote
> interactions?

I agree 100%. I've decoupled it from my patch series for now. We can
always add it back later when it's implemented in a less expensive way.

As for mocking -- I do like that idea, but that would only really be
testing that calls to 'deploy-machine' et al. don't fail rather than
ensuring that the implementation of 'guix deploy' does what it's
supposed to do. The current tests make assertions about changes to the
virtual machine.

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> As Ricardo wrote, I think that’s too much work to do in “make check”.
> Plus this would only run when a “host store” is available, as we can’t
> reasonably build QEMU and everything in $builddir/test-tmp.
>
> So I feel that the system test suite is a better fit, but I don’t
> fully understand the limitations you hit, Jakob.
>
> Do you still have a draft of a system test that you wrote and/or notes
> about what went wrong?

Yep, I have an unsquashed commit history on my personal branch with all
renditions of the test suite. I can pull it out tomorrow and write a
detailed report on the issues I ran into.

Thanks for both of your comments!