Subject: [bug#36404] [PATCH 0/6] Add 'guix deploy'.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 14:50:16 +0200

[email-masked] (Jakob L. Kreuze) skribis:

> Christopher Lemmer Webber <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> In the future I think it would be good to make this extensible as
>> well. Dispatching on a symbol means that Guix must itself provide a
>> fixed set of possible environment types. If we made this an extensible
>> structure, akin to services or something, we could allow for more
>> flexibility in the future. Thoughts for the future, but not a blocker
>> on this patch.
>
> +1. Initially, I thought the service types _were_ symbols, but I see now
> that they're actually procedures. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll see
> about implementing environment types similarly in my revised patch set,
> since I think that's a change that we'd want to make before any other
> environment types come into existence.

It’s a pattern similar to that of <build-system> for packages.  I think
it should provide the flexibility and extensibility we need.

Ludo’.