Subject: Re: [bug#36404] [PATCH 0/6] Add 'guix deploy'.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 12:09:35 +0200

Christopher Lemmer Webber <[email-masked]> writes:

>> First, I still haven't figured out the whole testing situation. The
>> tests, as of now, spin up a virtual machine, create a machine instance,
>> deploy that to the virtual machine, and then make assertions about
>> changes made to the system. These tests were originally in the system
>> test suite as they deal with virtual machines, but I've since moved it
>> into the normal Guix test suite because of how much needs to be done on
>> the host side -- I spent an absurd amount of time trying to fit a call
>> to 'deploy-machine' into a derivation that could be run by the system
>> test suite, but I just wasn't able to make it work. I'm hoping someone
>> will have thoughts about how we can test 'guix deploy'. Should we have
>> them disabled by default? Is there some way to implement them in the a
>> system test suite that I've overlooked? Should the tests be included at
>> all?
>
> Ludo, do you have comments?  I suspect this is up your area of expertise.

Building and running virtual machines as part of the tests seems
expensive.  Would it be feasible to mock the remote interactions?

-- 
Ricardo