Subject: bug#35858: closed (Re: bug#36402: installation error)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 17:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#36402: Null pointer error when partitioning with the graphical installer

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36402: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36402
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#36402: installation error
From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Juan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 18:56:57 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

This has hopefully been resolved by Guile-Parted 0.0.2 update, so
closing!

Thanks,

Mathieu

Subject: Null pointer error when partitioning with the graphical installer
From: Vivien Kraus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 20:53:05 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Thank you for all the work you've put in the Guixsd release.  I have
used guix on top of a Debian distribution for some time, but with the
release I wanted to try and install it on its own.

I'm trying to install guix on my system.  I have the 1.0.1 patch, but I
had the same problem with 1.0.0.

I already have a debian system with an encrypted drive, and I would like
to erase it with an encrypted Guix system with a separate /home partition.

I have chosen my language (français).

My location (France).

I have chosen the graphical installer.

I have chosen my timezone (Europe / Paris).

I have chosen my keyboard (Français / Français (sans touche morte Sun):
this one seems to be correct but I don't have much information.  It
would be awesome if I could test it in a text box).

I have chosen the guided installation with encryption.

I have chosen my hard drive, the only option:
ATA WDC WD15EARS-60M (scsi) /dev/sda 1500 GB gpt

I have chosen the option to have a separate /home.

And then I get the exception.  I copy it from another keyboard, but I
hope that I copied it correctly.

In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
    829:9 19 (catch srfi-34 #<procedure 22744c0 at
./gnu/installer/steps.scm:144:7 ()> #<procedure 2214550 at
./gnu/installer/steps.scm:144:7 (key c)> _)
    829:9 18 (catch srfi-34 #<procedure 22742c0 at
./gnu/installer/steps.scm:144:7 ()> #<procedure 2214500 at
./gnu/installer/steps.scm:144:7 (key c)> _)
    829:9 17 (catch srfi-34 #<procedure 22740c0 at
./gnu/installer/steps.scm:144:7 ()> #<procedure 22144b0 at
./gnu/installer/steps.scm:144:7 (key c)> _)
    829:9 16 (catch srfi-34 #<procedure 23a3280 at
./gnu/installer/steps.scm:144:7 ()> #<procedure c19fa0 at
./gnu/installer/steps.scm:144:7 (key c)> _)
In ./gnu/installer/steps.scm:
    182:21 15 (_)
In ./gnu/installer/newt/partition.scm:
    755:33 14 (run-partitioning-page)
In ./gnu/installer/parted.scm:
    1010:14 13 (auto-partition! #<<disk> bytestructure:
#<bytestructure 0xbddb10>> #:scheme _)
    870:21 12 (loop _ _ _)
    863:17 11 (loop _ 1962582833 967694336)
    771:25 10 (mkpart #<<disk> bytestructure: #<bytestructure
0xbddb10>> _ #:previous-partition _)
In parted/structs.scm:
    552:19 9 (pointer->partition _)
     132:3 8 (pointer->bytestructure #<pointer 0x0>
#<bytestructure-descriptor 0x251d600>)
In unknown file:
           7 (pointer->bytevector #<pointer 0x0> 88 #<undefined>
#<undefined>)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
   751:25  6 (dispatch-exception 5 null-pointer-error
("pointer->bytevector" "null pointer dereference" () ()))
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    619:8  5 (_ #(#(#<directory (guile-user) 68f140>
#<<installer> name: newt init: #<procedure init()> exit:
#<procedure exit ()> exit-error: #<procedure exit-error (file
key args)> final-p...>) ...))
    619:8  4 (_ #(#(#(#<directory (guile-user) 68f140>
#<<installer> name: newt init: #<procedure init ()> exit:
#<procedure exit ()> exit-error: #<procedure exit-error (file
key args)> fi...>) ...) #))
In ice-9/ports.scm:
   462:17  3 (call-with-output-file _ _ #:binary _ #:encoding _)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    619:8  2 (_ #(#(#<directory (guile-user) 68f140>
null-pointer-error ("pointer->bytevector" "null pointer
dereference" () ())) #<output: /tmp/last-installer-error 12>))
    159:9  1 (_ #(#(#<directory (guile-user) 68f140>
null-pointer-error ("pointer->bytevector" "null pointer
dereference" () ())) #<output: /tmp/last-installer-error 12>))
In unknown file:
           0 (make-stack #t)
ice-9/eval.scm:159:9: In procedure pointer->bytevector: null
pointer dereference

If you need more information, please tell me.  I can retry the
installation to help debugging that, but I need simple instructions :)

Best regards,

Vivien