Subject: bug#36400: Few more words about ‘tex-print-file-extension’ (Emacs manual)

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 10:43:34 +0200

In INFO @ 25.11.3 TeX Printing Commands:
  For example, you can set it to ‘.pdf’, and update
-‘tex-dvi-view-command’ and ‘tex-dvi-print-command’ accordingly.
+‘tex-dvi-view-command’ and ‘tex-dvi-print-command’ accordingly, as
+well as ‘latex-run-command’ or ‘tex-run-command’.

Why?  Because without setting, for example, ‘latex-run-command’ to
‘pdflatex’ it (‘tex-region’, ‘tex-buffer’, ‘tex-file’) will still
compile files with ‘latex’ and ‘tex-dvi-view-command’ &
‘tex-dvi-print-command’ will show error, because they will be looking
for ‘.pdf’ and will only find ‘.dvi’.  So need for change also these
two variables should be noted.

Actually I wanted to go different road here, and change
‘latex-run-command’ (and maybe ‘tex-run...’) to have ‘cond’ and
choose: if ‘.pdf’ => ‘pdflatex’, if ‘.dvi’ =>‘latex’.  But because it
probably reads ‘tex-print-file-extension’ very early:
- OR it (tex-print-file-extension) would have to be rewritten as well
   to update (eval(?)) ‘latex-run-command’,
- OR user would have to save new value of ‘tex-print-file-extension’
   to init file and restart Emacs/eval ‘latex-run-command’ manually.
Of course this will require different change to the manual.

S. U.

In GNU Emacs 26.2 (build 1, i686-w64-mingw32)
  of 2019-04-13 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: fd1b34bfba8f3f6298df47c8e10b61530426f749
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601