Subject: bug#36389: odd

From: Robert Vollmert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 20:21:33 +0200

I agree that it sounds odd, and some of my original diagnostic
must be skewed. After several configuration changes and
system reconfigurations and nginx restarts, I do appear to
have a sensible state currently, and I can’t reliably
reproduce the problems I had before. I’m also pretty sure I
didn’t imagine it all, though.

Here’s something else I ran into while getting there:

At some point, nginx was running, even after calling

# herd stop nginx

and herd did list it as stopped. That nginx instance that got
away from shepherd might have been involved in the earlier
trouble. (Is it ok for shepherd to lose track of a child like
that?)

Another thing was that I got a failed nginx configuration test
that didn’t make sense. Notably, it complained that

(a) the user directive `user nginx nginx;` is ineffective when
when not running as root and
(b) it didn’t have permission to access the letsencrypt keys.

Both of these indicate that the configuration test was not run
as root. I don’t see any reason in the code why that would
happen…

I’ll keep an eye on it and see if something similar occurs
again.