Subject: Re: bug#36380: service urandom-seed takes too long on boot

From: Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 08:43:33 +0000

Hello,

It would be nice if we could reproduce this issue.

Robert Vollmert <[email-masked]> writes:
> Just ran across this article about Debian dealing with similar issues.
> 
> https://daniel-lange.com/archives/152-hello-buster.html

This article has been updated since then with a section[0] about a fix
authored by Linus[1][2] and merged in Linux 5.4. The gist of it that now
`getrandom()' will actively try to collect entropy in early boot, if it
is missing, by using the CPU jitter. The Debian wiki is saying the 
same[3].

Since we are using actually using Linux-libre 5.4 as the default kernel
this issue should probably be closed.

[0]: 
https://daniel-lange.com/archives/152-hello-buster.html#linustotherescue
[1]: 
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=3f2dc2798b81531fd93a3b9b7c39da47ec689e55
[2]: 
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=50ee7529ec4500c88f8664560770a7a1b65db72b
[3]: https://wiki.debian.org/BoottimeEntropyStarvation

Brice.