Subject: Re: bug#36380: service urandom-seed takes too long on boot

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 17:20:21 +0200

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 08:12:28PM +0200, Robert Vollmert wrote:
>> On my VPS, booting takes forever (long enough that for a long
>> time I thought the install had failed). I just rebooted again,
>> and it took over 7 minutes, see attached screenshot.
>
> Yikes, that's way too long. Can you say what VPS it is?

We had a “bug report” at
<https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20190624#guixsd>, which may be
due to the same issue:

  The first time I loaded Guix the boot process took an unusually long
  time.  At one point the system appeared to lock up for about five
  minutes before continuing.  In the end, from boot menu to graphical
  login screen, the start-up time totalled about ten minutes.

The author says they were running Guix in VirtualBox.  I’m glad Robert’s
bug report has more info than that one.  :-)

What should we do?

Ludo’.