Subject: bug#36374: ‘guix pull’ should not suggest running ‘guix pull’

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 11:55:36 +0200

Hello!

Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Here is a patch to address this issue on Guix System. It creates new
> files in /etc/skel: an initial profile (.config/guix/initial) tgat
> only contains a symlink to /run/current-system/profile/bin/guix and
> the current profile as a symlink to the initial profile.
>
> At first boot, and for new users, guix well be found in the current
> profile, and stays there after guix pull, so we don't need to use hash
> guix anymore.

I think this addresses the “hash guix” issue (this will no longer be
needed with this patch), but it only indirectly solves the “guix pull”
suggestion issue, right?

> From 89b5fa77af87e1a1537c10e929439a902806cc5c Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 14:24:55 +0200
> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: system: Symlink guix inside an initial guix pull
>  profile.
>
> This patch adds an initial guix pull profile to the skeletons files used
> on Guix System.  This ensures that users don't have to type 'hash guix'
> after their first guix pull, and prevents 'guix pull' from suggesting to
> run 'guix pull' after it finished successfuly.

It prevents the suggestion, but only because the symlink appears to be
new.  If you change the mtime of the symlink, or if you run:

  GUIX_DISTRO_AGE_WARNING=1s guix pull

I think you still get the “guix pull” recommendation.

> * gnu/system/shadow.scm (skeleton-directory): Symlink guix inside an
> initial guix pull profile.

Perhaps we should add it to ‘default-skeletons’ instead of
special-casing it here?  WDYT?

Thanks for working on it!

Ludo’.