Subject: Re: bug#36369: Master doesn't use its pdump

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 23:15:27 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > Makefile seems not to have a separate rule for the file
  > > 'emacs.pdump'.  It treats that as an aspect of 'emacs'.  Thus, the
  > > 'emacs' rule should write 'emacs.pdmp' correctly too.

  > I think this is problematic because we still support the unexec build
  > as well.  That build doesn't produce emacs.pdmp at all.

I don't see that it would be problematic.  In a pdump build,
it would write emacs.pdmp.  In an unexec build, it would not.

  > > Then I deleted 'alloc.o' and then 'make -k'.
  > > It loaded up and dumped, writing 'boostrap-emacs.pdmp'.
  > > Then it loaded up and dumped again, writing 'emacs.pdmp'.
  > > 
  > > That was not necessary.  Once should have been enough.

  > It's enough when all the Lisp files are already byte-compiled.  When
  > some of them aren't, the two dumps are not identical, as the first one
  > loads the uncompiled Lisp files, the second one loads the compiled
  > ones.

Maybe make dependencies can discriminate that.

  > If you don't want to compile Lisp files automatically, I think saying
  > "make -k emacs.pdmp" should be your new paradigm.

I did not see an emacs.pdmp target.  Is there one?
If so, where is it?

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)