Subject: bug#36369: Master doesn't use its pdump

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 23:18:46 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > I think I understand why it doesn't complete the build for you: it's
  > because you say "make -k emacs" instead of just "make -k". 

I think that is a bug.

Makefile seems not to have a separate rule for the file
'emacs.pdump'.  It treats that as an aspect of 'emacs'.  Thus, the
'emacs' rule should write 'emacs.pdmp' correctly too.

I tried 'make -k' just now.  It did write 'emacs.pdmp'.

Then I deleted 'alloc.o' and then 'make -k'.
It loaded up and dumped, writing 'boostrap-emacs.pdmp'.
Then it loaded up and dumped again, writing 'emacs.pdmp'.

That was not necessary.  Once should have been enough.

								Can't you
  > omit the "emacs" part?  If not, why not?

The reason I omit it is that this was, in the past, a way to avoid
rebuilding stuff I didn't need to rebuild.  Perhaps it was to avoid
recompiling Lisp files (which takes a long time so I always chose
manually what to recompile).  I don't remewmber for sure.

The second dump step is not a big annoyance for me.  On my rather old
machine, chosen to run Libreboot, it takes less than a minute.

But it still seems like an error that the 'emacs' target does not
deliver a working 'emacs'.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)