Subject: bug#36365: closed (Re: bug#36365: Add info how to deselect secondary selection (Emacs manual))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2019 08:33:02 +0000

Your bug report

#36365: Add info how to deselect secondary selection (Emacs manual)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36365: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36365
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#36365: Add info how to deselect secondary selection (Emacs manual)
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2019 11:31:56 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 19:59:42 +0200
> 
> Because, if it's "selection", people may think that to deselect all
> you need is to click 'mouse-1' somewhere, but it doesn't work, as well
> as 'C-g' and it may be confusing.
> 
> Therefore please add information about 'M-mouse-1' as a way to
> deselect, perhaps somewhere next to the L626-627 or after the
> definition of 'M-mouse-1' L607-608 in KILLING.TEXI.
> 
> Then update documentation string for 'mouse-start-secondary' with the
> same information.
> 
> ===
> 
> Also (because it's the same chapter) in Emacs manual (INFO) "12.3.3
> Secondary Selection" description of 'M-mouse-3' could be changed:
> 
> FROM
> Set the secondary selection, with one end at the position clicked
> and the other at the position specified with ‘M-mouse-1’
> (‘mouse-secondary-save-then-kill’).  This also puts the selected
> text in the kill ring.  A second ‘M-mouse-3’ at the same place
> kills the secondary selection just made.
> 
> TO
> Set the secondary selection, with one end at the position clicked and
> the other at the position specified with ‘M-mouse-1’, and put the
> selected text in the kill ring (‘mouse-secondary-save-then-kill’).
> A second ‘M-mouse-3’ at the same place kills the secondary selection
> just made.
> 
> Placement of 'mouse-secondary-save-then-kill' will be better, right
> now it may confuse people because it stands next to 'M-mouse-1' which
> has different command.

Thanks, I fixed these two issues.

Subject: Add info how to deselect secondary selection (Emacs manual)
From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
To: Bug GNU Emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 19:59:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Because, if it's "selection", people may think that to deselect all
you need is to click 'mouse-1' somewhere, but it doesn't work, as well
as 'C-g' and it may be confusing.

Therefore please add information about 'M-mouse-1' as a way to
deselect, perhaps somewhere next to the L626-627 or after the
definition of 'M-mouse-1' L607-608 in KILLING.TEXI.

Then update documentation string for 'mouse-start-secondary' with the
same information.

===

Also (because it's the same chapter) in Emacs manual (INFO) "12.3.3
Secondary Selection" description of 'M-mouse-3' could be changed:

FROM
Set the secondary selection, with one end at the position clicked
and the other at the position specified with ‘M-mouse-1’
(‘mouse-secondary-save-then-kill’).  This also puts the selected
text in the kill ring.  A second ‘M-mouse-3’ at the same place
kills the secondary selection just made.

TO
Set the secondary selection, with one end at the position clicked and
the other at the position specified with ‘M-mouse-1’, and put the
selected text in the kill ring (‘mouse-secondary-save-then-kill’).
A second ‘M-mouse-3’ at the same place kills the secondary selection
just made.

Placement of 'mouse-secondary-save-then-kill' will be better, right
now it may confuse people because it stands next to 'M-mouse-1' which
has different command.

S. U.