Subject: Re: bug#36362: New feature-x-check-server

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2022 19:17:29 +0800

otadmor <[email-masked]> writes:

> As for your firat comment - this patch adds a lisp function to check
> if the xserver is responsive. It does not run automatically for
> everyone, so only those who are interested should call this function
> from their lisp configuration. Personally I added run-at-time to call
> the exported function from the patch.

No, it's only to solve a niche problem and will lead to constant
maintenance hassle with updates to Xlib.

> The patch was design to not change existing behaviour of emacs. If you
> see somewhere this is not the case I could fix that.  I can add ifdef
> to make this code compile only with this specific xlib. Would that be
> ok in your opinion?

No, see above.

> Thirdly, this what I saw when I debugged it.

Then the solution is to report the bug to the developers of whatever
component is causing the bug, and then to ack so we can describe it in
PROBLEMS with whatever workaround they might recommend.  Of course, you
are free to keep using your change yourself.

Thanks in advance.