Subject: bug#36359: 'sentence-end-base' 3 additional symbols

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 14:17:12 +0200

Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]> writes:

>> (...) but do people use > in these circumstances?
>
> Well, I was thinking about writing them in LaTeX documents, where (if
> font encoding is OT4 or T1) you can get '»' by typing '>>'.  If this
> is not enough, then skip it, I'll set it manually.

But you end up with » in the buffer, so I don't quite follow how
having > in sentence-end-base is useful...

>> And › I've never seen before -- what language is that used in?
>
> And this is (I think) used for inner quotes, just like '’',
> i.e. « ... ‹ ... › ... ».

Right:

« La Constitution du 3 septembre 1791 proclame la nécessité d'‹ une instruction
publique, commune à tous les citoyens, gratuite à l'égard des parties
d'enseignement indispensables pour tous les hommes ›. »

That example is also interesting because it has the full stop before the
», while I was wondering whether the French did that (or put it after
the »), so I guess that answers that.

So unless anybody objects, I'm adding › and » to the regexp.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no