Subject: Re: bug#36357: Wrong Ghostscript program name on MS Win

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 16:50:42 +0300

> From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 12:07:54 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
>  > Another question: You both used executable-find with exe file
>  > extension.  Was that intended?  I mean, it makes sure we don't
>  > falsely set some "gs.bat" or "gs.cmd" which might have nothing to do
>  > with GhostScript.  Is that a real danger?
> 
> "Falsely setting" file with the same name but different extension
> crossed my mind.  So, yes we should include extension just to be sure,
> that function will find exactly what we are looking for.

We don't know what we are looking for; only the end user does.  Even
Windows allows to rename executable files, so there's nothing magic in
the name gswin64c.exe, the actual program can be called anything and
can have any valid executable extension.  Please leave the user the
freedom of starting Ghostscript via a batch file, if they so wish.