Subject: bug#36357: Wrong Ghostscript program name on MS Win

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 20:23:33 +0100

> I'm not convinced this is a better default.  My 64-bit Windows
 > system is full of 32-bit executables, both those that I compiled and
 > those I did not.

Well you're not a beginner and you can easily change settings, because
you know which and how, and we're talking about defaults, which should
help newcomers as much as possible.

If 64bit OS is in use and the program has two versions - 32bit & 64bit
- user will most likely choose 64bit version of the program.  64bit
software is popular now and leaving (in upcoming Emacs 27) 'gswin32c'
as default is... outdated?

Perhaps something like (idea, not code):

if 'system-configuration' == 64bit
    use gswin64c
else
    use gswin32c

could make setting the default a little bit better.  Maybe there is
better variable for this.

Again, as an alternative, a change to 'gswin64c' from 'gswin32c' would
be also appreciated, as more up-to-date solution.

 > If your proposal is a better default, how come no one complained
 > about this?

They don't use packages that use Ghostscript, don't care that much and
change tool, blame Windows for not working... kind of "who knows". :)