Subject: bug#36345: Font and other Issues/Bugs in Guix System

From: Freddy Reimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 15:01:25 -0400

Hello,

I have been trying out guix in a VM, and would like to report a few bugs 
I've run into.

Context: I installed using the graphical installation tool and chose i3 
as my desktop. I installed all my packages through the config file. I 
kept it pretty much default, aside from installing things like 
terminals, browsers, the liberation and bitstream vera fonts, mpv, and 
youtube-dl.

The first of these issues, and one I managed to get by on my own, was my 
terminal freaking out when I first installed one. Each time I made a new 
terminal, it would create a new line and an indented prompt on that line 
for all existing terminal windows. Left and right arrow keys would 
recreate the whole prompt to the right of the current one. Backspace 
would remove characters from the buffer, but it would visually create 
spaces as if I had pressed spacebar. I fixed this by rebooting and it 
hasn't had this problem again, but when it was happening it would occur 
on both rxvt-unicode and termite. TTYs were unaffected, and this was 
only on X terminals.

The second issue is that icecat doesn't display numbers. In the address 
bar and on most sites, numbers will fail to render and will be replaced 
by a large space. I did inspect element and looked at the fonts, and it 
listed " ojiOne Mozilla" and said that it was a local font. Looking into 
the preferences, this was revealed to be EmojiOne Mozilla, which was for 
some reason enabled for all latin fonts. I switched them all to 
something reasonable like serif or sans-serif, but my numbers were still 
missing. The option to use site-provided fonts instead was selected, and 
I disabled all the privacy checkboxes on the new tab screen. I did not 
add this font to my config.scm. Not sure whether this is the fault of 
Icecat or Guix, but I'm currently sidestepping it by using 
Ungoogled-Chromium, which isn't having these problems.

Virtualization was done in virt-manager on an Xubuntu host.