Subject: Re: bug#36341: 27.0.50; Reading from the Gnus dribble file leaves data inconsistent

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2019 12:24:22 -0700

On 07/04/19 15:43 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> So then the remaining mysteries are why does "s" clear it up, and what
>> in my code changes could have caused this? Since I was mostly messing
>> with the hash tables, I have to assume that data was supposed to be
>> stored in some table, but isn't being retrieved correctly.
>
> Yeah, that would also be my guess...

Got it: when `gnus-group-set-info' reaches:

(setcar (nthcdr 1 entry) info)

Ie, it actually does the setting of the info based on the dribble file,
that change is made in `gnus-newsrc-hashtb' but not `gnus-newsrc-alist'.
"g" uses the alist, "M-g" uses the hashtable. So that explains that.

I don't know why that happens, given that the entry in the hashtable and
the alist are identical lisp objects, or at least they are everywhere
else. But at least the solution is in sight!

Eric