Subject: Re: bug#36341: 27.0.50; Reading from the Gnus dribble file leaves data inconsistent

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 12:22:43 +0200

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> I'm pretty sure I just figured out what's wrong with the dribble file,
>>> but I'm setting out on a 80-mile bike ride now, and will fix it
>>> if/when I have survived that.
>>
>> Good luck!
>
> I survived!

Yay!

> But I'm having trouble reproducing this. Can you give me a more basic
> recipe, like "mark some messages read, exit with `Q`, restart"?

First save with `s' so you have a "known good state".  Then enter a
group (that has some unread articles), mark everything as read (with
`d'), `q' out of the group and then `Q' out of Emacs.  You should now
have a dribble file.  Then say `M-x gnus' and answer `y' to the question
about whether to read it.

The group where you marked everything as read should now be displayed in
the group buffer with the same number of unread articles as it had
before you entered it the last time.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no