Subject: bug#36340: Test failures when networking is disabled

From: Cyprien Nicolas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 13:44:26 +0200

Hello,

Guile's configure script offers an option to disable networking support,
but when disabled, some test won't pass.

-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----
Running 00-repl-server.test
ERROR: 00-repl-server.test: repl-server: simple expression - arguments:
((unbound-variable #f "Unbound variable: ~S" (make-socket-address) #f))
ERROR: 00-repl-server.test: repl-server: HTTP inter-protocol attack -
arguments: ((unbound-variable #f "Unbound variable: ~S"
(make-socket-address) #f))
----->8----->8----->8----->8----->8-----

The error is obviously related to the configure option. I have a patch
for catching unbound-variable and throw unresolved instead, tested on
2.2 and 2.0 branches. Reference: https://bugs.gentoo.org/629004

That patch is enough for stable-2.0 but there is another failure in
suspendable-ports in 2.2.5, as the suspendable-ports ice-9 module
overrides accept and connect functions, missing when networking is disabled.

-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----
$ guile-2.2
GNU Guile 2.2.5
Copyright (C) 1995-2019 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (ice-9 suspendable-ports))
While compiling expression:
In procedure public-lookup: No variable bound to accept in module (guile)
----->8----->8----->8----->8----->8-----

Is guile configured with --disable-networking still a supported
configuration?

Thanks,
Cyprien