Subject: bug#36313: Two installation schemes of AUCTeX

From: Ryo Furue <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 12:14:49 +0900

Hi, again,

Thank you again for your detailed explanation!

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 7:26 PM Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >>>>> Ryo Furue <[email-masked]> writes:
> > I guess that on such a system, the parsing of the TeX directory tree
> > happens each time emacs is launched if the system-wide default of
> > TeX-parse-self is t.  Is that correct?
>
> Speaking precisely, that statement is not correct.  The "directory tree"
> discussed here is not the TeX directory tree, but the elisp directory
> tree which potentially contains helper elisp files ("style files", in
> the terminology of AUCTeX.)
> In addition, the parsing of the elisp directory tree happens when the
> user _opens_ a TeX file.  Just launching emacs makes no difference, even
> if the default value of `TeX-parse-self' is t.
>
> (The parsing of TeX directory does occur as well, but that is
> independent of the value of `TeX-parse-self'.)
>

I'm utterly confused!  I thought the starting point of our discussion was

If the default value of `TeX-parse-self' is t, some emacs users who don't
use AUCTeX will suffer from extra slow down due to the parsing of some
directory tree.

Is the above statement correct or not?

Assuming that it is correct, I guess the reason for the objection to the
default value of TeX-parse-self is

   1. If the system administrator elects to install emacs with AUCTeX
   enabled, and
   2. if the default value of `TeX-parse-self' is t,
   3. all emacs users will experience slow down when emacs is launched
   because of the parsing of some elisp files which wouldn't be parsed if
   TeX-parse-self weren't set.

So, I guess those elisp files in item 3 above are big ones.

Cheers,
Ryo