Subject: bug#36313: Two installation schemes of AUCTeX (was bug#36313: 12.1.2; percent symbol in \url{})

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 00:36:45 +0900

>>>>> Ryo Furue <[email-masked]> writes:
> First, I apologize in advance, if I misunderstand what you are saying. So,
> please bear with me if I do misunderstand it.

Supplementary explanation follows.

AUCTeX has two schemes of installation.  (I'm sorry if you already know
this matter.)

[A] Traditional scheme using configure, make, make install
In this way, system administrator can perform system-wide installation.
All the users on that machine share the common default settings,
including `TeX-parse-self'.
On the other hand, individual normal user can perform personal
installation with this scheme, by giving suitable options to configure
script.  The default value of `TeX-parse-self' only affects that
particular user.

[B] Modern scheme, namely ELPA
This scheme always makes personal installation.  Although this is not
exactly the same as the personal installation of [A], only the
particular user who executed installation from ELPA is concerned about
the default value of `TeX-parse-self'.

> From your argument in your previous message, I thought that

>  (1) the parsing of the TeX installation tree would happen to all
>  emacs users if the variable is set by default.

This story refers to the system-wide installation of the above [A].

> But according to this latest of yours, it seems that

> (2) the parsing of the TeX installation tree would happen
> to those users who explicitly install AUCTeX through ELPA.

This is [B].

I hope this information be of help to clarify your thought.

Cheers,
Ikumi Keita