Subject: Re: bug#36313: 12.1.2; percent symbol in \url{}

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 09:15:56 +0200

Ryo Furue <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Arash,
>
> Thank you for your kind comments!
>
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 4:32 AM Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Does this sentence makes more sense:
>>
>>     If you want to make AUCTeX aware of used LaTeX package in a document
>>     and multi-file documents right away, insert the following in your
>>     .emacs file.
>>
>> If so, we should clarify it.
>>
>
> I've found your rewrite somewhat more informative than the original.
>
> Thinking more about this issue, I would argue that TeX-parse-self should be
> set to t by default, because
>
> Do the right thing (DTRT) by default
> and optimize, if it's slow.

Have you bothered reading the referenced discussions?  You don't appear
to bother bringing anything new to it.

Parsing a whole bunch of dependencies isn't the right default for
someone not interested in AUCTeX or TeX.

But we should probably make it a much stronger point in the manual that
people interested enough in AUCTeX to be reading the manual are very
likely people wanting to enable full document parsing.

> Although I'm not at all professional, I do write little software as
> part of my job, and the above is what I always do.

Emacs is not just AUCTeX.  Emacs is a general-purpose environment, and
the defaults must not make it unusable as the go-to document
editor/viewer for text file types you don't actually know anything
about.

> (Perhaps it would be hard to scan the LaTeX directory tree once for
> index search?)

> Just my two cents.

Have you bothered looking at the dozens of dollars already spent on that
issue?  It is not a new discussion.  If you want to change the outcome,
you need to bring a substantially new argument.

-- 
David Kastrup