Subject: bug#36313: 12.1.2; percent symbol in \url{}

From: Ryo Furue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 20:09:39 +0900

Hi Keita,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 6:26 PM Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> >>>>> Ryo Furue <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Having said that, may I ask why that's not set by default?
>
> There are still firm objections against enabling `TeX-parse-self' by
> default.  You can read discussion about this, e.g., at the thread
> beginning with
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/2017-02/msg00000.html

Thank you very much for this helpful information!  Now I understand that
the reason for the objection is that if the variable is set to t,

AUCTeX [would] rifle through whole remote directory hierarchies in the
search for style files.  [This is a quote from David Kastrup.]

What I don't understand is how this is related to the percent symbol in
URLs !

Also, I didn't notice any slow down even after setting the variable to t.
(I actually expected it, because "parse" sounds a time consuming operation.)

Following his advice, I looked at the top of the AUCtex manual and found:

If you want to make AUCTEX aware of style files and multi-file documents
right away, insert the following in your .emacs file.
. . . .
(setq TeX-parse-self t)
. . . .

I still don't see how this is related to URLs . . .

I'm not complaining.  Not at all.  It just shows how hard it is to find
the  information I wanted.

So, even though Arash says

but it seems to me that users start asking google instead of reading the
first 5 paragraphs of the manual

in the thread above, you shouldn't blame the users (like me) :-)

Cheers,
Ryo