Subject: bug#36304: closed (Re: bug#36304: 27.0.50; request: switch to the superior HTML #RGB convention for colors)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 11:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#36304: 27.0.50; request: switch to the superior HTML #RGB convention for colors

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
36304: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=36304
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#36304: 27.0.50; request: switch to the superior HTML #RGB convention for colors
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 14:12:56 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 02:46:16 +0000
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Rebased and revised patch attached.

Thanks, pushed to the master branch.

Note that the test file wasn't in the correct directory; I moved it.

Subject: 27.0.50; request: switch to the superior HTML #RGB convention for colors
From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 11:22:24 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This is a request for an incompatible change, which I think will
improve some matters significantly:

The Web convention, used by HTML and SVG, is that #fff is parsed as
#ffffff, and represents "white". The X convention, discouraged for
years, is to accept #fff as shorthand for #f0f0f0, and #ffffff as
shorthand for #ff00ff00ff00, with no way of specifying the whitest
color as six (or three) hex digits.

We're still using the X convention. It's time to switch. The HTML
convention is what virtually everyone would expect these days, it
allows specifying "white" concisely, and it's what we use in some
contexts, such as when rendering SVGs.

Not fixing this would result in somewhat hard-to-track-down color bugs
all over the place, particularly when combining images and text or
using non-X window systems or non-8-bit color depths (again, "#ffffff"
isn't the same as "white" on those!)

There's no reason, as far as I can see, to burden everyone with a
deficiency of one specific graphics backend, in perpetuity,
particularly since the colors will stay similar but not quite the
same.

This issue was discussed years ago as bug #8402, so feel free to mark
this as a duplicate if it helps.