Subject: Re: bug#36296: 26.2; cannot-suspend value on MS Win & resume description

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 11:06:40 +0100

Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]> writes:

> on MS Windows (official build) variable `cannot-suspend' has value
> `nil', while according to this thread on help-gnu-emacs:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2019-0/msg00259.html
> probably should have value `t'.

PROBLEMS says:

*** C-z just refreshes the screen instead of suspending Emacs.

You are probably using a shell that doesn't support job control, even
though the system itself is capable of it.  Either use a different shell,
or set the variable 'cannot-suspend' to a non-nil value.

--------

I'm not very familiar with how this works under Windows, but from the
text there, it sounds like it depends on the shell, so Emacs can't
really default the variable to t just based on the OS?  Or is this
always the case on Windows (that `C-z' doesn't work?)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no