Subject: bug#36293: Dejagnu Documentation

From: Jacob Bachmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 17:06:59 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:
> I am wondering if the documentation is up to date.  The reason I ask 
> this, I was reading the documentation page on 4.4 Adding a new board, 
> and I don’t see a Makefile.am in the directory suggested.
>
> Here is a link to the text I am talking 
> about: https://www.gnu.org/software/dejagnu/manual/Adding-a-new-board.html#Adding-a-new-board

No, the documentation is out-of-date.  Your issue is related to 
DejaGnu's move to a flat Automake layout with a single Makefile.am at 
top-level.  The section you mention also gives file names from the old 
Cygnus tree layout, but that detail is easily overlooked.

Instead of adding to the boards_DATA list in baseboards/Makefile.am, you 
will need to add your baseboard file to the baseboard_DATA list in the 
top-level Makefile.am.  For testing, you can also simply install your 
file with the other baseboard files in $pkgdatadir/baseboards and 
DejaGnu will find it -- you only need to edit Makefile.am to package 
your baseboard file with DejaGnu, such as submitting your board file 
upstream for inclusion in a future DejaGnu release.

Revising this part of the manual is on my local TODO list and is 
currently delayed while I untangle the mess that DejaGnu board 
configurations have become over the years.

> I have the dejagnu 1.6 installed.
The latest release is 1.6.1, which fixes various minor bugs in 1.6, but 
is probably no different with respect to this issue.

-- Jacob