Subject: bug#36286: 26.2.90; auth-source-creation-prompts has not effect?

From: Xu Chunyang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 14:52:09 +0800

C-h f auth-source-search provides this example:

  (let ((auth-source-creation-defaults '((user . "defaultUser")
                                          (A    . "default A")))
         (auth-source-creation-prompts
          '((password . "Enter IMAP password for %h:%p: "))))
    (auth-source-search :host '("nonesuch" "twosuch") :type 'netrc :max 1
                        :P "pppp" :Q "qqqq"
                        :create '(A B Q)))

however I don't see any "Enter IMAP password ..." when I run the example
with C-x C-e, instead I see these prompts:

  [any port] user name for nonesuch [defaultUser]:
  [any port] password for defaultUser@nonesuch:
  Enter A (defaultUser@nonesuch:[any port]) [default A]: 

What format auth-source-creation-prompts should be? Its docstring
doesn't say.

By the way I can't help to complain auth-source's API is very difficult
to work with. Its docstring and info documentation is not very
helpful. For example, I can't understand how :require and :create in
auth-source-search works after struggling for 1 hour. And I can't get
auth-source-forget to work.