Subject: bug#36280: 26.2.90; 'emacs -Q' receives SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault

From: VanL <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 17:58:23 +1000

> On 19 Jun 2019, at 17:24, Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> So I donʼt use MacPort nor do I have X11 headers on my mac, so I canʼt
> really help here.

So I tried to build without X11.  Next, I can try to use the Xcode stuff without MacPort's gcc.  I have had success doing this for 26.1.90, 26.2, 27.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
cd emacs-26.2.90
make distclean
sh ./autogen.sh
cd ../emacs-26.2.90-build-gdb-ns
../emacs-26.2.90/configure  CC=/opt/local/bin/gcc CFLAGS='-O0 -ggdb -g3' --enable-checking --without-compress-install --enable-gcc-warnings --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type --with-ns --enable-ns-self-contained --with-jpeg=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no --without-x --with-cairo --without-xwidgets --with-mailutils

#+name: configure-run
#+begin_example
  checking for xcrun... xcrun
  checking for make... yes
  checking for GNU Make... gmake
  checking build system type... x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0
  checking host system type... x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0
  checking whether the C compiler works... yes
  checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
  checking for suffix of executables... 
  checking whether we are cross compiling... no
  checking for suffix of object files... o
  checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
  checking whether /opt/local/bin/gcc accepts -g... yes
  checking for /opt/local/bin/gcc option to enable C11 features... none needed
  checking for ar... ar
  checking whether /opt/local/bin/gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
  checking for putenv... yes
  checking for sbrk... yes
  checking for fchmod... yes
  checking for readlinkat... yes
  checking for explicit_bzero... no
  checking for faccessat... yes
  checking for fcntl... yes
  checking for fdopendir... yes
  checking for fstatat... yes
  checking for fsync... yes
  checking for gettimeofday... yes
  checking for nanotime... no
  checking for lstat... yes
  checking for mkostemp... no
  checking for tzset... yes
  checking for pipe2... no
  checking for pselect... yes
  checking for readlink... yes
  checking for strtoimax... yes
  checking for symlink... yes
  checking for localtime_r... yes
  checking for timegm... yes
  checking for futimes... yes
  checking for futimesat... no
  checking for futimens... no
  checking for utimensat... no
  checking for lutimes... yes
  checking for getdtablesize... yes
  checking how to run the C preprocessor... /opt/local/bin/gcc -E
  checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /opt/local/bin/ggrep
  checking for egrep... /opt/local/bin/ggrep -E
  checking for ANSI C header files... yes
  checking for sys/types.h... yes
  checking for sys/stat.h... yes
  checking for stdlib.h... yes
  checking for string.h... yes
  checking for memory.h... yes
  checking for strings.h... yes
  checking for inttypes.h... yes
  checking for stdint.h... yes
  checking for unistd.h... yes
  checking minix/config.h usability... no
  checking minix/config.h presence... no
  checking for minix/config.h... no
  checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
  checking whether _XOPEN_SOURCE should be defined... no
  checking for Minix Amsterdam compiler... no
  checking for ranlib... ranlib
  checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
  checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
  checking whether the compiler is clang... no
  checking whether C compiler handles -Werror -Wunknown-warning-option... no
  checking whether -Wno-missing-field-initializers is supported... yes
  checking whether -Wno-missing-field-initializers is needed... no
  checking whether -Wuninitialized is supported... yes
  checking max safe object size... 9223372036854775807
  checking whether C compiler handles -fno-common... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -W... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Waddress... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Waggressive-loop-optimizations... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wall... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wattributes... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wbool-compare... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wbool-operation... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wbuiltin-declaration-mismatch... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wbuiltin-macro-redefined... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wcast-align... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wchar-subscripts... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wclobbered... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wcomment... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wcomments... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wcoverage-mismatch... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wcpp... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wdangling-else... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wdate-time... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wdeprecated... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wdeprecated-declarations... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wdesignated-init... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wdisabled-optimization... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wdiscarded-array-qualifiers... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wdiscarded-qualifiers... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wdiv-by-zero... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wdouble-promotion... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wduplicated-cond... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wduplicate-decl-specifier... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wempty-body... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wendif-labels... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wenum-compare... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wexpansion-to-defined... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wextra... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wformat-contains-nul... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wformat-extra-args... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wformat-security... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wformat-signedness... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wformat-y2k... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wformat-zero-length... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wframe-address... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wfree-nonheap-object... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Whsa... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wignored-attributes... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wignored-qualifiers... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wimplicit... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wimplicit-function-declaration... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wimplicit-int... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wincompatible-pointer-types... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Winit-self... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wint-conversion... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wint-in-bool-context... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wint-to-pointer-cast... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Winvalid-memory-model... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Winvalid-pch... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wjump-misses-init... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wlogical-not-parentheses... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wlogical-op... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wmain... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wmaybe-uninitialized... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wmemset-elt-size... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wmemset-transposed-args... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wmisleading-indentation... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wmissing-braces... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wmissing-declarations... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wmissing-include-dirs... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wmissing-parameter-type... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wmissing-prototypes... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wmultichar... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wnarrowing... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wnested-externs... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wnonnull... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wnonnull-compare... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wnull-dereference... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wodr... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wold-style-declaration... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wold-style-definition... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wopenmp-simd... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Woverflow... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wpacked... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wpacked-bitfield-compat... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wparentheses... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wpointer-arith... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wpointer-compare... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wpointer-sign... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wpointer-to-int-cast... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wpragmas... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wpsabi... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wrestrict... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wreturn-local-addr... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wreturn-type... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wscalar-storage-order... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wsequence-point... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wshift-count-negative... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wshift-count-overflow... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wshift-negative-value... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wsizeof-array-argument... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wsizeof-pointer-memaccess... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wstrict-aliasing... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wstrict-prototypes... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wsuggest-attribute=format... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wsuggest-attribute=noreturn... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wsuggest-final-methods... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wsuggest-final-types... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wswitch-bool... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wswitch-unreachable... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wtautological-compare... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wtrampolines... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wtrigraphs... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wuninitialized... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wunknown-pragmas... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wunused... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wunused-but-set-parameter... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wunused-but-set-variable... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wunused-function... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wunused-label... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wunused-local-typedefs... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wunused-macros... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wunused-result... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wunused-value... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wunused-variable... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wvarargs... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wvariadic-macros... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wvector-operation-performance... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wvolatile-register-var... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wwrite-strings... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Walloc-size-larger-than=9223372036854775807... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Warray-bounds=2... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wformat-truncation=2... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wimplicit-fallthrough=5... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wnormalized=nfc... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wshift-overflow=2... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wstringop-overflow=2... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wvla-larger-than=4031... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wredundant-decls... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wno-missing-field-initializers... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wno-override-init... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wno-sign-compare... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wno-type-limits... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wno-unused-parameter... yes
  checking whether C compiler handles -Wno-format-nonliteral... yes
  checking for a BSD-compatible install... /opt/local/bin/ginstall -c
  checking command to symlink files in the same directory... ln -s
  checking for install-info... /opt/local/bin/install-info
  checking for gzip... /usr/bin/gzip
  checking for 'find' args to delete a file... -delete
  checking for -znocombreloc... no
  checking whether addresses are sanitized... no
  checking for library containing sqrt... none required
  checking for pkg-config... /opt/local/bin/pkg-config
  checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
  checking for machine/soundcard.h... no
  checking for sys/soundcard.h... no
  checking for soundcard.h... no
  checking for mmsystem.h... no
  checking for _oss_ioctl in -lossaudio... no
  checking for ALSA... no
  checking for linux/fs.h... no
  checking for malloc.h... no
  checking for sys/systeminfo.h... no
  checking for sys/sysinfo.h... no
  checking for coff.h... no
  checking for pty.h... no
  checking for sys/resource.h... yes
  checking for sys/utsname.h... yes
  checking for pwd.h... yes
  checking for utmp.h... yes
  checking for util.h... yes
  checking for sys/prctl.h... no
  checking for sys/socket.h... yes
  checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
  checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
  checking for sys/param.h... yes
  checking for pthread.h... yes
  checking for malloc/malloc.h... yes
  checking for sys/un.h... yes
  checking for dirent.h... yes
  checking for execinfo.h... yes
  checking for stdio_ext.h... no
  checking for getopt.h... yes
  checking for sys/cdefs.h... yes
  checking for sys/time.h... yes
  checking for limits.h... yes
  checking for wchar.h... yes
  checking for stdint.h... (cached) yes
  checking for inttypes.h... (cached) yes
  checking for sys/select.h... yes
  checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
  checking for ADDR_NO_RANDOMIZE... no
  checking for term.h... yes
  checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
  checking whether sys_siglist is declared... yes
  checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
  checking for net/if.h... yes
  checking for ifaddrs.h... yes
  checking for net/if_dl.h... yes
  checking for struct ifreq.ifr_flags... yes
  checking for struct ifreq.ifr_hwaddr... no
  checking for struct ifreq.ifr_netmask... no
  checking for struct ifreq.ifr_broadaddr... yes
  checking for struct ifreq.ifr_addr... yes
  checking for struct ifreq.ifr_addr.sa_len... yes
  checking whether gcc understands -MMD -MF... yes
  checking for X... disabled
  checking AppKit/AppKit.h usability... no
  checking AppKit/AppKit.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to [email-masked] ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
  checking for AppKit/AppKit.h... no
configure: error: The include files (AppKit/AppKit.h etc) that
are required for a Nextstep build are missing or cannot be compiled.
Either fix this, or re-configure with the option '--without-ns'.
#+end_example
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---