Subject: bug#3628: Python-Mode Ignores Global Font Lock

From: "Sean B. Palmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:00:13 +0100

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Lawrence Mitchell wrote:

> (global-font-lock-mode 0) only turns /off/ font lock

Yeah, but I was asked on #emacs whether it was acting as a toggle,
perhaps just to confirm that there was no bug introducing toggle
behaviour where it wasn't expected.

> Font-lock is used unconditionally in python buffers, I think,
> so that text properties marking strings and comments can
> be maintained with greater ease than otherwise.

Not honouring explicit instructions to turn off highlighting globally
in emacs sounds like a poor design decision to me. I consider this an
important bug.

Meanwhile, it's possible to use this workaround:

(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
  '(lambda () (global-font-lock-mode 0)))

Thanks,

-- 
Sean B. Palmer, http://inamidst.com/sbp/