Subject: 26.1; ada-mode 6.0.0 auto-casing no longer honors the casing of the declaration

From: Ludovic Brenta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:59:11 +0200

Package: emacs, ada-mode
X-Debbugs-CC: [email-masked]
Severity: minor

Hello,

In ada-mode 5.2, auto-casing honors the casing of the declaration of an
entity but ada-mode 6.2 does not; instead it forces the user to create
a casing exception on every declaration that uses "non-standard" casing.
In our large code base this causes frustration as programmers often
introduce local upper-case acronyms to shorten some names, e.g.

procedure A (The_Flight : in Flight.T) is
    FTFX : Flight.Fixed_Info.T renames The_Flight.Fixed_Info;
begin
    FTFX.Foo := True;
end A;

Supposing a procedure A that is hundreds of lines long with dozens of
uses of FTFX, ada-mode 6.0 is unhelpful when forcing the casing down
to Ftfx.  Adding casing exceptions for such local uses is not really
appealing.

Would it be difficult to use casing-as-declaration by default with the
new parser in 6.x?

-- 
Ludovic Brenta.