Subject: bug#36276: Not found .so files in bundle made by guix pack

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 13:34:53 +0200

Hi Andréas,

>> What does “uname -r” return on this CentOS machine?  I’m guessing it’s
>> older than 3.16.0.
>> 3.10.0-957.12.2.el7.x86_64
>
> What a shame, this kernel was release in 2013 !
>
> I start to think that our VM was not installed properly because
> regular centos install seems to have a much more recent kernel...

I’m afraid not.  This is the kernel version on an arbitrary node running
CentOS 7.4.1708: 3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64

RHEL 7.x won’t ever include any kernel version higher than 3.10.0.
Until it goes EOL they’ll merely backport fixes and sometimes APIs to
what they call 3.10.0, but which won’t be anywhere close to what a
vanilla 3.10.0 kernel provides.

The same happened on RHEL 6, which still provides what they call 2.6.32,
which is nothing like vanilla 2.6.32.

Sometimes that heavily patched kernel will include an interface that
later versions introduced and thus the kernel version checks will be
inaccurate.  We had this problem with the RHEL 6 kernel and the GNU C
library, which is why we patched the glibc to make an exception for
Linux version 2.6.32 (which only in its RHEL 6 variant provides the
required interfaces).

--
Ricardo