Subject: Youtube-Viewer

From: Raghav Gururajan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 19:44:26 -0400

Hello Guix!

NOTE: Package "youtube-viewer" installs both "gtk-youtube-viewer" (GUI) and
"youtube-viewer" (CUI). This bug pertains ONLY to the GUI. Not sure about the
CUI as I never tried.

ISSUE: In "gtk-youtube-viewer", by default, when you search for a video and
double-click on it; it should open the video in mplayer or mpv or vlc. But this
does not happen unless you separately install "youtube-dl". This causes problem
for "Guix Way"; where one has to get stuck with the version of "youtube-dl" that
"youtube-viewer" supports. So the user do not get freedom to maintain "youtube-
viewer" and "youtube-dl" separately, which is actually a feature of Guix.

STEPS TO RE-PRODUCE:
1) Remove "youtube-dl", if installed.
2) Install mpv or vlc
3) Install "youtube-viewer"
4) Open "gtk-youtube-viewer"
5) Search for a video.
6) Open a video by double-clicking.
7) Video does not open. (ISSUE)
8) Install "youtube-dl"
9) Reboot
10) Repeat steps 4, 5 and 6.
11) Video now opens. (ISSUE)

SUGGESTION: Make GUI and CUI either as separate packages ("gtk-youtube-viewer"
and "youtube-viewer") or as separate outputs ("youtube-viewer:gui" and "youtube-
viewer:cui"); AND bundle the required "youtube-dl" version as a dependency.

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.