Subject: Re: bug#36254: Acknowledgement (Youtube-Viewer)

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 03:14:08 +0200

Raghav,

Raghav Gururajan wrote:
> it appears "youtube-viewer" (both GUI and CUI) opens video 
> without
> "youtube-dl" ONLY IF the video format is of lower quality.
> So most videos like songs from VEVO channels does not open and 
> require
> "youtube-dl" as a dependency.

Test videos about GNU Guix, on the other hand, opened fine.

...

> SUGGESTION: Bundling "youtube-dl" with "youtube-viewer" as a 
> dependency.

We only unbundle software in Guix, but  I've added youtube-dl as 
an input and patched youtube-viewer to use it in 
58637415bedb8a91d916ab6ed6f318f7b7023c00.

I can now successfully play ‘Dmitri Shostakovich -  Waltz No. 2 
(by TheWickedNorth)’ which failed to play before.

Could you confirm whether this solves your problem?

Kind regards,

T G-R