Subject: Re: bug#36250: Allow Emacs to be resized arbitrarily

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 17:41:41 +0300

> Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 12:14:28 +0300
> From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > > 1. Evaluate in Emacs (setq frame-resize-pixelwise t)
> > > 2. Execute `xprop | grep "program specified resize increment"`
> > >
> > > You will see something like "program specified resize increment: 7 
> > by 15"; both 7 and 15 are certainly bigger than 1 :)
> > 
> > You either have to set it in your initial file (like I do, for
> > example) or before a new frame is created.
> 
> I just tested it, and it works. However I've always wondered, is there 
> a place in .emacs file, which is guaranteed to be executed before a 
> window is created? I may be mistaken, but it looks to me like Emacs 
> tries to create window almost immediately on start, and that the (setq 
> frame-resize-pixelwise t) line at the beginning of the config being 
> executed before window is created is pure luck.

It doesn't have to be sheer luck: Emacs resets some display-related
parameters after it reads the init files, precisely to cater to the
cases such as this one.  I don't know if this parameter is one of
those that benefit from this, but it might be.  One example of
settings that definitely are acted upon after reading the init file is
default-frame-alist.