Subject: Re: bug#36250: [PATCH] Allow Emacs to be resized arbitrarily

From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 11:41:42 +0300

On Пн, июн 17, 2019 at 10:22, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> 
wrote:
>  > Of course, I'd still like to hear comments about the change and its
> > safety, as well as invite people to try this with their window
> > managers.
> 
> Window managers use size hints for two purposes:
> 
> (1) To provide feedback of the prospective size of the Emacs frame in
> lines and columns displayed in a tooltip-like window whenever the user
> drags a frame edge or border with the mouse.
> 
> (2) To effectively round the size of the Emacs frame to multiples of
> lines and columns when dragging any of its borders or edges with the
> mouse.
> 
> I suppose we cannot give up on these features given a strong minority
> of Emacs users who prefer working with frame sizes where not a single
> pixel gets wasted for showing anything but bare text.
> 
> martin

So, if I understand the above correctly, the purpose is simply to not 
allow Emacs showing half of a line or half of a column. Well. I admit I 
don't really understand why would someone want to waste space showing 
nothing (since showing half of a line is more useful than showing 
nothing), but if you are sure that there are users who want this… Oh, 
well.